- Nor, if regularity and conformity to a standard pattern are as desirable to the scientist as the writing of his papers would appear to reflect, is management to be blamed for discriminating against the “odd balls” among researchers in favor of more conventional thinkers who “work well with the team.”
- The grand mediocrity of today–everyone being the same in survival and number of off- spring–means that natural selection has lost 80% of its power in upper-middle-class India compared to the tribe.
- When a new movement in art attains a certain fashion, it is advisable to find out what its advocates are aiming at, for, however farfetched and unreasonable their principles may seem today, it is possible that in years to come they may be regarded as normal.
- With regard to Futurist poetry, however, the case is rather difficult, for whatever Futurist poetry may be even admitting that the theory on which it is based may be right–it can hardly be classed as Literature.
- But it is a little upsetting to read in the explanatory notes that a certain line describes a fight between a Turkish and a Bulgarian officer on a bridge off which they both fall into the river–and then to find that the line consists of the noise of their falling and the weights of the officers, “Pluff! Pluff!” A hundred and eighty-five kilograms.”
[参考译文] 但当我们先是从注释中得知某诗行讲述了一个土耳其军官和一个保 加利亚军官在桥上动手打架并双双掉进河里，而后却发现该行诗中不过只充斥着”扑通，扑通，185公斤重”这类对他们落水时的动静以及对军官们体重的描写时，我们不免感到困惑不安。
- The coming of age of the postwar baby boom and an entry of women into the male- domiated job market have limited the opportunities of teen-agers who are already questioning the heavy personal sacrifices involved in climbing Janpan’s rigid social ladder to good schools and jobs.
- Last year Mitsuo Setoyama, who was then education minister, raised eyebrows when he argued that liberal reforms introduced by the American occupation authorities after World WarII had weakened the “Japanese morality of respect for parents”.
- With economic growth has come centralization: fully 76 percent of Japan’s 119 million citizens live in cities where community and the extended family have been abandoned in favor of isolated, tow-generation households.
- If the tradition of ambition is to have vitality, it must be widely shared; and it especially must be highly regarded by people who are themselves admired, the educated not least a-mong them.
- Certainly people do not seem less interested in success and its signs now than formerly. Summer homes, European travel, BMWs–the locations, place names and name brands may change, but such items do not seem less in demand today than a decade or two years ago.
[参考译文] 当然，人们现在对成功及其各种标志的兴趣似乎并不亚于先前。消夏 别墅、欧陆旅行、宝马车–地点、地名以及品牌或许会有变化，但这类事物在今天被人渴求的程度也似乎不会亚于一二十年前。
- Instead, we are treated to fine hypocritical spectacles, which now more than ever seem in ample supply: the critic of American materialism with a Southampton summer home; the publisher of radical books who takes his meals in three-star restaurants; the journalist advocating participatory democracy in all phases of life, whose own children are enrolled in private schools.
- No clear-cut distinction can be drawn between professional and amateurs in science: exceptions can be found to any rule. Nevertheless, the word “amateur” does carry a connotation that person concerned is not fully integrated into the scientific community and, in particular, may not share its values.
- The trend was naturally most obvious in those areas of science based especially on a mathematical or laboratory training, and can be illustrated in terms of the development of geology in the United kingdom.
- A comparison of British geological publications over the last century and a half reveals not simply an increasing emphasis on the primacy of research, but also a changing definition of what constitutes an acceptable research paper.
- The overall result has been to make entrance to professional geological journals harder for a mateurs, a result that has been reinforced by the widespread introduction of refereeing, first by national journals in the 19th century and then by several local geological journals in the 20th century.
- A rather similar process of differentiation has led to professional geologists coming together nationally within one or two specific societies, whereas the amateurs have tended either to remain in local societies or to come together nationally in a different way.
- Sad to say, this project has turned out to be mostly low–level findings about factual errors and spelling and grammar mistakes, combined with lots of head–scratching puzzlement about what in the world those readers really want.
- I believe that the most important forces behind the massive M&M wave are the same that underlie the globalization process: falling transportation and communication costs, lower trade and investment barriers and enlarged markets that require enlarged operations capable of meeting customers’ demands.
- A lateral move that hurt my pride and blocked my professional progress promoted me to abandon my relatively high profile career although, in the manner of a disgraced government minister, I covered my exit by claiming “I wanted to spend more time with my family.”
[参考译文] 一次侧面的不光明磊落的攻击伤害了我的自尊，阻碍了我事业的发展，使我不得不抛弃了那份引人注目的工作，尽管表面上我还要以一个蒙受屈辱的政府部长的姿态，通过声称”我只不过是想多和家人呆在一起” 来掩盖我的退出。
- I have discovered, as perhaps Kelsey will after her much-publicized resignation from the editorship of She after a build-up of stress, that abandoning the doctrine of “juggling your life”, and making the alternative move into “downshifting brings with it far greater rewards than financial success and social status.
[参考译文] 或许正像凯尔西在不堪积劳重负而公开地辞去她在《她》杂志社的编辑 一职之后一样，我已经发现，放弃那种”为生活忙碌”的人生信条并转 而追求比较悠闲的生活带给你的回报远远大于经济成功和社会地位。
- While in America the trend started as a reaction to the economic decline-after the mass redundancies caused by downsizing in the late ‘ 80s-and is still linked to the politics of thrift, in Britain, at least among the middle-class down shifters of my acquaintance, we have different reasons for seeking to simplify our lives.
[参考译文] 在美国，这一返朴趋势是以经济衰落的反应为开始的–那是在80年 代末期裁员而引起大量的失业之后一一现在依然与提倡节俭的政纲相关；而在英国，最起码在我所熟识的中产阶级返朴归隐者中，追求简约； 生活的原因就多种多样了。
- For the women of my generation who were urged to keep juggling through the’ 80s, down-shifting in the mid’ 90s is not so much a search for the mythical good lift-growing your own organic vegetables, and risking turning into one-as a personal recognition of your limitations.
[参考译文] 对于我这一代曾在整个80年代为生活奔波的女人来说，90年代中期出 现的归隐恬退与其说是我们寻求一种神话般的美好生活–用有机肥种植蔬菜，并且自己放弃一切的风险–不如说是我们清醒地认识到自身；能力是有限的这一事实。
- If you are part of the group which you are addressing, you will be in a position to know the experiences and problems which are common to all of you and it’ 11 be appropriate for you to make a passing remark about the inedible canteen food or the chairman’ s notorious bad taste in ties.
- There are already robot systems that can perform some kinds of brain and bone surgery with submillimeter accuracy–far greater precision than highly skilled physicians can achieve with their handsaone
- But if robots are to reach the next stage of laborsaving utility, they will have to operate with less human supervision and be able to make at least’ a few decisions for them- selves-goals that pose a real challenge.
- But the human mind can glimpse a rapidly changing scene and immediately disregard the 98 percent that is irrelevant, instantaneously focusing on the monkey at the side of a winding forest road or the single suspicious face in a big crowd.
- The OECD estimates in its latest Economic Outlook that, if oil prices averaged $22 a barrel for a full year, compared with $13 in 1998, this would increase the oil import bill in rich economies by only 0.25—0.5% of GDP.
[参考译文] OECD在其最近的《经济瞭望》中估计，如果石油价格与1998年的每 桶13美元相比在一年中平均为每22美元，这也只会给富裕的经济体的 石油进口账单上增加GDP的0．25％到0．5％。
- One more reason not to lose sleep over the rise in oil prices is that, unlike the rises in the 1970s, it has not occurred against the background of general commodity-price inflation and global excess demand.
- Although it ruled that there is no constitutional right to physician-assisted suicide, the Court in effect supported the medical principle of “double effect”, a centuries-old moral principle holding that an action having two effects–a good one that is intended and a harmful one that is foreseen–is permissible if the actor intends only the good effect.
[参考译文] 尽管它裁决并没有宪法权利来支持医生帮助下的自杀行为，最高法院实际上支持了被称为”双重效果”的医疗原则；这个已有几个世纪历史的道德原则认为一个可能有两个效果的行为–一个想要达到的好的效果和一个已经预见到的有害的效果是被允许的，如果行为的实施者想要的 只是好的效果的话。
- Nancy Dubler, director of Montefiore Medical Center, contends that the principle will shield doctors who “until now have very, very strongly insisted that they could not give patients sufficient mediation to control their pain if that might hasten death.”
[参考译文] Nancy Dubler，Montehore医疗中心的主任，认为这一原则将会保护这样一些医生，他们到目前为止还强烈坚持他们不能够给病人足量的镇痛剂来控制他们的疼痛，如果这么做会加速他们的死亡的话。
- On another level, many in the medical community acknowledge that the assisted–suicide debate has been fueled in part by the despair of patients for whom modern medicine has prolonged the physical agony of dying.
- It identifies the undertreatment of pain and the aggressive use of “ineffectual and forced medical procedures that may prolong and even dishonor the period of dying” as the twin problems of end–of–life care.
- In other words, there is a conventional story line in the newsroom culture that provides a backbone and a ready-made narrative structure for otherwise confusing new.
- If it did, it would open up its diversity program, now focused narrowly on race and gender, and look for reporters who differ broadly by outlook, values, education, and class.