- The American economic system is, organized around a basically private-enterprise, market- oriented economy in which consumers largely determine what shall be produced by spending their money in the marketplace for those goods and services that they want most.
- Thus, in the American economic system it is the demand of individual consumers, coupled with the desire of businessmen to maximize profits and the desire of individuals to maximize their incomes, that together determine what shall be produced and how resources are used to produce it.
- If, on the other hand, producing more of a commodity results in reducing its cost, this will tend to increase the supply offered by seller-producers, which in turn will lower the price and permit more consumers to buy the product.
- In the American economy, the concept of private property embraces not only the ownership of productive resources but also certain rights, including the right to determine the price of a product or to make a free contract with another private individual.
[参考译文] 在美国经济中，私有财产的概念不仅包含对生产资源的所有权，也指其他一些特定的权利，如确定一个产品价格和与另一个私人个体(经济单位) 自由签定合同的权利。
- At the same time these computers record which hours are busiest and which employers are the most efficient, allowing personnel and staffing assignments to be made accordingly. And they also identify preferred customers for promotional campaigns.
- Numerous other commercial enterprises, from theaters to magazine publishers, from gas and electric utilities to milk processors, bring better and more efficient services to consumers through the use of computers.
- Exceptional children are different in some significant way from others of the same age For these children to develop to their full adult potential, their education must be adapted to those differences.
- The great interest in exceptional children shown in public education over the past three decades indicates the strong feeling in our society that all citizens, whatever their special conditions, deserve the opportunity to fully develop their capabilities.
- It serves directly to assist a rapid distribution of goods at reasonable price, thereby establishing a firm home market and so making it possible to provide for export at competitive prices.
- Apart from the fact that twenty-seven acts of Parliament govern the terms of advertising, no regular advertiser dare promote a product that fails to live up to the promise of his advertisements.
- If its message were confined merely to information and that in itself would be difficult if not impossible to achieve, for even a detail such as the choice of the color of a shirt is subtly persuasive-advertising wound be so boring that no one wound pay any attention.
- The workers who gets a promotion, the student whose grades improve, the foreigner who learns a new language-all these are examples of people who have measurable results to show for there efforts.
- As families move away from their stable community, their friends of many years, their extended family relationships, the informal flow of information is cut off, and with it the confidence that information will be available when needed and will be trustworthy and reliable.
- The individual now has more information available than any generation, and the task of finding that one piece of information relevant to his or her specific problem is complicated, time–consuming, and sometimes even overwhelming.
[参考译文] 现在每个人能够得到的信息比任何时代的人都多，而找到与他／她的特定问题相关的那一点信息的任务不仅复杂、耗时，有时甚至令人难以招 。
- Expertise can be shared world wide through teleconferencing, and problems in dispute can be settled without the participants leaving their homes and/or jobs to travel to a distant conference site.
- The current passion for making children compete against their classmates or against the clock produces a two-layer system, in which competitive A-types seem in some way better than their B type fellows.
- While talking to you, your could-be employer is deciding whether your education, your experience, and other qualifications will pay him to employ you and your “wares” and abilities must be displayed in an orderly and reasonably connected manner.
- The Corporation will survive as a publicly funded broadcasting organization, at least for the time being, but its role, its size and its programs are now the subject of a nation wide debate in Britain.
[参考译文] 英国广播公司将作为一个公共基金支持的广播组织存在下来，至少目前会这样，但是它的角色、它的规模和它的节目现在在英国成了全国上下 的讨论话题。
- The debate was launched by the Government, which invited anyone with an opinion of the BBC–including ordinary listeners and viewer to say what was good or bad about the Corporation, and even whether they thought it was worth keeping.
[参考译文] 这场辩论是由政府发动的，政府请任何一个对英国广播公司有意见的人一包括普通的听众和观众一来说说这个公司好在哪里或坏在哪里，甚至 要说说他们是否认为这个公司值得被保留下来。
- The change met the technical requirements of the new age by engaging a large profess signal element and prevented the decline in efficiency that so commonly spoiled the fortunes of family firms in the second and third generation after the energetic founders.
[参考译文] 这种变化通过引入许多的专业因素从而适应了这个新时代的技术要求， 并且它(这种变化)防止了效率的降低。这种效率的降低在精力充沛的 创业者之后的第二代和第三代人(领导公司)的时候，经常会毁掉那些 家族公司的财富。
- Such large, impersonal manipulation of capital and industry greatly increased the numbers and importance of shareholders as a class, an element in national life representing irresponsible wealth detached from the land and the duties of the landowners: and almost equally detached from the responsible management of business.
[参考译文] 这样巨大而非个人的对资金和产业的操纵极大地增加了股东的数量和他 们作为一个阶级的重要性，这是国家生活中代表不负责任的财富的一个因素，这种财富不但远离了土地和土地拥有者的责任，而且几乎同样与公司的负责任的管理毫无关系。
- Towns like Bournemouth and Eastbourne sprang up to house large “comfortable” classes who had retired on their incomes, and who had no relation to the rest of the community except that of drawing dividends and occasionally attending a shareholders’ meeting to dictate their orders to the management.
[参考译文] 像伯恩茅斯和伊斯特本这样的城镇的涌现是为了给那些数量很多的”舒 适”阶级提供居住场所。这些人依赖于其丰厚收入而不工作，他们除了分红和偶尔参加一下股东大会，向管理层口授一下自己的命令之外，跟社会的其他阶层毫无瓜葛。
- The “shareholders” as such had no knowledge of the lives, thoughts or needs of the workmen employed by the company in which he held shares, and his influence on the relations of capital and labor was not good.
- The paid manager acting for the company was in more direct relation with the men and their demands, but even he had seldom that familiar personal knowledge of the workmen which the employer had often had under the more patriarchal system of the old family business now passing away.
[参考译文] 代表公司的花钱雇来的经理与工人及其需求的关系更加直接，但是就连 他对工人们也没有那种熟识的私人之间的了解。而在现在正在消失的古 老家族公司的那种更加家长式的制度下的雇主们却常常对他们的工人有这样的私人关系。
- Among the many shaping factors, I would single out the country’s excellent elementary schools: a labor force that welcomed the new technology； the practice of giving premiums to inventors; and above all the American genius for nonverbal, “spatial” thinking about things technological.
[参考译文] 在许多形成因素当中，我将挑选出这些：这个国家优秀的小学教育：欢 迎新技术的劳动者们：奖励发明者的做法；而且最重要的是美国人在对那些技术性事物的非言语的、”空间性的”思考方面的天赋。
- As Eugene Ferguson has pointed out, “A technologist thinks about objects that can not be reduced to unambiguous verbal descriptions: they are dealt with in his mind by a visual, nonverbal process…The designer and the inventor.., are able to assemble and manipulate in their minds devices that as yet do not exist”.
[参考译文] 正如尤金•弗格森所指出的那样：”一个技术专家思考那些不能被简化成 能被清楚的语言描述的东西。这些东西在他的思维中是通过一种视觉的、非语言表述的过程宋处理的……设计者和发明者……能够在他们的脑中装配并操作那些还不存在的装置。”
- Robert Fulton once wrote, “The mechanic should sit down among levers, screws, wedges, wheel, etc, like a poet among the letters of the alphabet, considering them as an exhibition of his thoughts, in which a new arrangement transmits a new idea”.
[参考译文] 罗伯特•法欧特曾经这样写到：”一个技师会坐在杠杆、螺丝钉、楔子、 轮子等等当中，就像一个诗人沉浸在字母表的字母中，把这些字母看成自己思想的展示，在这样的展示中，每种新的次序安排都传达了–种新的思想。”
- In the last three chapters, he takes off his gloves and gives the creationists a good beating. He describes their programs and, tactics, and, for those unfamiliar with the ways of creationists, the extent of their deception and distortion may come as an unpleasant surprise.
[参考译文] 在最后三章中，他脱下手套，将神造论者好好地揍了一顿。他描述了他 们的活动和战术，而且，对于那些对神造论者的做事方式刁；熟悉的人来说，神造论者的欺骗和扭曲事实的程度可能会令这些人有一种不快的诧异。
- On the dust jacket of this fine book, Stephen Jay Gould says: “This book stands for reason itself.” And so it does-and all wound be well were reason the only judge in the creationism/evolution debate.
- After six months of arguing and final 16 hours of hot parliamentary debates, Australia’s Northern Territory became the first legal authority in the world to allow doctors to take the lives of incurably ill patients who wish to die.
[参考译文] 经过了六个月的争论以及最后16个小时激烈的议会辩论，澳大利亚北 部地区成了世界上第一个允许医生终止希望死去的绝症病人生命的立法当局。
- Some have breathed sighs of relief, others, including churches, right-to-life groups and the Australian Medical Association, bitterly attacked the bill and the haste of its passage. But the tide is unlikely to turn back.
- In Australia- where an aging population, life-extending technology and changing community attitudes have all played their partother states are going to consider making a similar law to deal with euthanasia.
- There are, of course, exceptions. Small–minded officials, rude waiters, and ill mannered taxi drivers are hardly unknown in the US. Yet it is an observation made so frequently that it deserves comment.